Thursday 11 May 2023

Routing Sled

I've decided I will have to router the ash slab on at least one side and, to that purpose, I made a DIY routing sled with a bit of wood butchery.


Given I've cut one side to a depth of half way through, I can't take too much off, else the thing will collapse into matchsticks. 


The router fits in the sled with about 1/8th of an inch tolerance, so it doesn't stick in the guide rails as it moves along. I used pocket holes to fasten the guide rails to the base (I could have just used ordinary screws, but I wanted a reason to buy a pocket hole jig - anything for a new tool).


The photo above shows how it will be used, minus the runners that should go horizontal and level along the length, either side of the slab. The slab will need to be stabilised with wooden wedges. The object is to gradually shave off high spots with each pass, gradually extending the router bit through the bottom of the sled after each complete traverse of the length. 

I'm hoping that shaving/routing a bit off the raised corners and then lopping off 25cm at each end, to bring it to 2m and eliminate the 2 inch cracks that have appeared in the ends, will be sufficient. The base of the slab not being level can be compensated for in the table supports I choose.

While I was at it, I thought I'd make a new, garage workbench top from some reclaimed wood I scavenged, as the bench had been in the garden for a year and the top (OSB) had gotten waterlogged and sagged.


I'm getting hang of this wood butchery thing.

 

No comments: