Tuesday 16 May 2023

The Turner Prize

Finished the cup I turned with the Lidl wood lathe but, as the wood was just an old bit of rubbish and not a kiln dried blank, it split slightly.


Still. not bad for a first attempt at something useful.


Given I'm taking delivery of my Triumph GT6 project on the 21st June, I feel I'm going to have to router the ash slab that's been sitting drying in our dining room before much longer, else I'm not going to have a garage in which to perform the feat.


The routing sled is ready and there's ample space at present in the garage. If I don't do it soon, then I'm going to have to do it in the dining room itself, which will not impress Hay.

Still haven't decided on the legs, but I'm leaning toward buying some tree stumps to clean up and fix a rectangular frame on. These, for example, are going free in Dorchester.


Getting them the right height will be key, along with a decent spread at the bottom for stability. I like the concept of a tree appearing to grow out of the oak floor to support the table top.

These jobs I'm taking on a real blue jobs, rather than pink jobs. Hay's pink jobs are more concerned with the gardening, which bores be rigid, as it can take years to see the result. That said, the GT6 may yet take years...


No comments: