Monday 15 May 2023

Not For Turning

Yesterday I finally broke out the wood lathe I bought in Lidl about 18 months ago in a fit of tool buying. I bolted it to the garage workbench I refurbished last week, which has since been painted with boiled linseed oil as a preservative and protection.


OK, it's nothing like a professional setup, but it's fine for a hobbyist. Depending on how I get on, I may decide to invest in something from e-Bay that's a bit more robust and has a multiplicity of wood-grabbing ends.

I used a bit of leylandii offcut from the trees we felled in 2021 and it turned quite nicely, but I got covered in woodchips. I always seem to wear clothes that are magnets for sawdust or woodchips and they're impossible to brush off or remove, even with sticky tape. 

I didn't read the instructions, which resulted in a bit of faffing about before I understood the mechanics of it and got it to work properly.


I made this beautiful object, which has 1001 uses, any one of which escapes me at this precise moment, but I'm sure I'll think of some, given enough time.


I'm now going to make one of these for people in the family for birthday and Christmas presents, saying; "Well, I didn't buy it - I made it, especially for you!" They will be so pleased.... I'll save a fortune too....

I even made a start on something vaguely cup-shaped.




Had to give up, as the chisels now require sharpening. The ones that come wit the lathe are quite tiny, so I will look for some larger ones that produce quicker results.

Next I'm going to have to trial the Lidl plasma cutter; however, I suspect the power in the garage won't be enough to run it.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You may find you need a different material to cut than wood,,, just sayin! I know how daft you can be

Anonymous said...

Asbestos?