Friday 20 October 2023

No Crackers, Gromit

My replacement sandblaster nozzle arrive yesterday and I immediately sussed the problem with the old one - a rubber packing ring / grommet was missing, meaning the ceramic head wasn't pushed out far enough to create a proper seal when the trigger was released.



No wonder it was almost impossible to keep the pressure at where it should be. It's probably the reason why the previous owner sold it - he never noticed.

OK, so it cost me £19.99 for a complete nozzle I didn't really need, but I dare say replacement ceramic heads don't come with a rubber packing and they're sold separately, meaning I'd still have been at a loss if I'd simply ordered replacement ceramic heads.

However, it still doesn't do the job as I expected, which I think in due to the 8 bar, 15cfm compressor not being able to keep up with it (although 15cfm is recommended). Once the sandblaster tank is pressurised, I can get about 10 seconds of blasting before I have to stop and wait for the tank to get back up to pressure. To do it properly I'd need a compressor the size of the workshop.


It's fine for blasting fiddly bits where the wire wheel can't get into, but for large, flat areas, the wire wheel on a grinder is much faster and efficient. I used it on the door jambs, hinges and skin seams.






At least I've finished the passenger door and primed it. I didn't bother stripping the inside of the door, as it's sound as a bell and will be permanently covered by a trim panel anyway.

I've also ordered the last couple of remaining body panels I need - rear valance and driver side door closing pane - which should arrive today. Other repair panels are required for the bonnet, but that's at a later stage and doesn't affect the tub.


No comments: