Sunday 22 October 2023

Who Shot Liberty Valance

Repair panels arrived Friday and I immediately realised I'd bought a left hand B post pillar repair section, rather than the right hand. Phoned Rimmer Brothers in Leicester and immediately corrected the error, but it will be Tuesday before the correct panel arrives.

The rear, lower valance, however, was perfect. On Saturday I used a grinder, nibbler and sabre saw to remove the old valance.




Roughly fitted the new one to see how it looked.

There are so many spot welds, and they're not easy to see, that I didn't even try to drill them out. It's going to take a lot of patient grinding to get back to the metal I need to weld the repair section to. While spot welding will work on the upper and lateral sides, the lower side will have to be plug welded, as it's impossible to get the spot welder in there.

The brilliant thing about rebuilding your own car is that you can spend as much time as needed to get something right without worrying about the cost. I can roll the car out of the garage and spot a tiny blemish and then spend all day getting rid of it, enjoying the activity.


No comments: