Monday 9 October 2023

T3

My mate bought a 1991 VW T3 campervan. He's not sure whether he's going to keep it or flip it. However, he asked me to renovate it. It needed quite a bit of work, as you can see.

Two and a half days later, it was transformed. Took all the stickers off, cleaned the carpets, ground out the rot, Jenolited what was left, filled the holes, primed it, touched it up in spray paint and then buffed the new paint into the old.

There was one area that would have benefitted from welding, but it's near the petrol filler, so I wasn't going to do that in a hurry and survive. The rot was halted in its tracks though with the hole covered in filler.

Bugger of a job finding the right colour paint - took me 3 goes to get the correct shade, and even then it wasn't perfect. Couldn't find the paint code on the VIN plate, so had to go on intuition. Here's the result.

Believe it or not, some people replaced the air-cooled T3 engines with ones from early Porsche 911s, which were also air-cooled.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice job. For paint codes I find going to a good motor factors that uses an electronic gadget that reads colours is best when an older car that maybe has years of fade