Saturday 23 March 2024

New Tool

Just bought another tool that will help me - an air punch and flange maker.


One side punches 5mm holes in steel and the other crimps small flanges into flat plates so you can slide repair panels under existing metalwork, with the result being flush.

The punch is a help when doing plug welds, especially on areas like wheel arches. 5mm is a little on the small side, but adequate. Drilling risks distorting the steel because of heat build up and pressure, whereas this little gizmo just punches clean through.

The flange accessory facilitates lap welding two plates; however, lap welds are frowned upon due to the increased thickness being difficult to dolly. However, there are instances where one might need to slide a plate under an existing one, such as where there is no pressed repair panel and you have to fabricate something. 

At £35.99 I thought it well worth the money; however, there were issues. Firstly the dust cap on the air inlet was rammed on tight, requiring me to clamp the body in a vice and use a box spanner and hammer to remove it. It was dry as a bone and had obviously been inserted a long, long time ago.

 Secondly, it came with a 1/4 inch air connector, but the air inlet on the punch is 12mm, not the 1/4 inch advertised on the e-Bay advert. You'd think they'd know the details and provide the correct adaptor. A complaint was made.

Anyway, I used it to punch the necessary holes in the lower wing repair section wheel arches (took less than a minute) and the flange on the mudguard where it attaches to the headlamp cowls I had previously welded in.



I then put the o/s mudguard into position with clamps ready for plug welding; however, I'll accomplish that with the bonnet laid upside-down, flat on the ground, so I have gravity working with me.



I also took the opportunity to seal as many seams as possible with Tiger Seal, additionally squeezing a thin bead into the joint between the upper bonnet and the lower repair section, which will prevent any water ingress. I contemplated smearing the inside of the wheel arch seam with sealant, but thought better if it in case it caught light during welding. I can always squirt some in later and smooth it out wearing a rubber glove.

I tried fitting the headlamp outer cowl - some adjustment is necessary to make it fit perfectly, but nothing I can't accomplish with a bit of grinding. I only have one outer cowl and so have yet to find another.

Took delivery of the burr walnut veneer, but I must have got something wrong on my measurements (no surprise there). There's certainly enough to do one dashboard, but not three, and I'm going to have to make a 3 piece dash because of the dimensions of the veneer. That has to wait though until I receive the middle section I bought on e-Bay.


No comments: