Wednesday 20 March 2024

The Purpose of a Project

I regularly check Faceplant Marketplace for parts for the GT6 restoration and came across this very interesting item yesterday.


A galvanised Spitfire Mk IV Spitfire chassis, complete with rebuilt suspension (wrapped in plastic). It's an abandoned project priced at £800. The chassis and suspension on the Mk IV Spit is exactly the same as the Mk 3 GT6.

Now if I was pressed for time, this would be a very good buy, as it would save me ages in welding the front of my chassis (never mind about what I may find further up it once the tub is removed) and cleaning up/rejuvenating the existing suspension.

Projects have three traditional elements; price, time and quality. However, there's always the 4th element that's invariably missed out - the learning process. Arguably, there's a 5th element - sheer enjoyment of the process.

While I'm sorely tempted, and a similar offer is unlikely to materialise for a long time, I think I'll stick with renovating my chassis and suspension, as I'm not pressed for time (within limits), I enjoy the learning process and I obtain enormous pleasure from doing it all myself. Why spend £800 when I have all the parts and the only cost is my time, which is free and I have plenty of.


No comments: