Saturday 2 March 2024

Tools, Tools, Tools

Before welding the bonnet together, I've invested in some additional tools.

Firstly some Clico fasteners, which are removable pop-rivets that will temporarily hold panels together that are to be welded (cost, £36). The pliers both insert the clamps and removes them. There are 9 pop-rivet types and a couple of G clamps.


Much better than the various welding clamps I have, as they don't get in the way of the spot welder as much and you can get them into small spaces.

Then I ordered a disposable bottle of Argon/CO2 gas for the MIG welder (cost, £49). Just relying on the flux core of the welding wire is a nightmare, what with all the splatter. Gas shielding should eliminate that and provide more control (and fewer burn marks on my clothing and welding mask).


My only problem is the connection to the MIG welder, which is 1/4 inch BSP (or the metric equivalent). Any gas tails you buy in the UK are 3/8ths BSP, requiring an adaptor. Connectors are the bane of my life. Why can't everyone use metric?

Lastly, although nothing to do with the bonnet, I bought a set of 4 dollies to enable me to move the GT6 chassis around the garage with ease, giving me the ability to push the chassis to one side after I remove the tub.


Each wheel goes on a castored trolly. Cost, £120 for 4.

I simply don't have enough drive space to wheel the chassis out of the garage and leave it there under a tarp while I work on the underside of the tub, as the chassis would block my father-in-law's garage - I need to be able to have the chassis and tub in the garage, side by side, with the tub on a rotisserie.

I did find a rotisserie on Facebook Market, but after the first exchange, where the seller said he was away for the weekend, I've not been able to raise him. So the search for a cheap rotisserie continues.


No comments: