Wednesday 29 January 2020

Slow News


I seem to have problems with my browser whenever I load up newspaper content - it takes ages to be able to scroll down while the browser loads hundreds of adverts which plaster the content. The root cause may be my Chrome browser being particularly slow or some setting that needs to be changed in Windows 10, but it doesn't happen on other websites.

It's bloody annoying and only happens on newspaper content where the actual story I'm interested in usually comprises less than 20% of the total download - the rest being advertising crap or irrelevant 'related content'.


It seems to be worse on British newspaper sites and I can watch the javascript load in the lower left of the sceen, which takes forever. The problem is directly proportional to the amount of advertising and is inversely proportional to the quality of the news source concerned - the worst being the likes of the Daily Mail and the Sun, which I occasionally read for amusement.

Anyone else had the same issue and know how to resolve it? Ad blockers don't alleviate the problem, as the ads aren't popups, but integral to the pages.


No comments: