Tuesday 28 July 2020

Embarrassing Manoeuvre


How embarrassing - I was backing the van out of the drive (which is very narrow andhas a tight, 90 degree bend)) and didn't spot an obstruction poking out from a brick pillar. Managed to put a couple of holes in the rear nearside panel when I hit an ornament hanging on the pillar.

Luckily I had some fibreglass matting and epoxy resin over from a repair to the tray of our composting loo and managed to effect a preliminary repair to make it watertight. Looks suspiciously like the lower half of someone's face.


I'll get some body-filler today, skim it over and sand it flat. I then need to source some Ford Alpine White and it should be as good as new. Having rebuilt several cars, I'm a dab hand with bodywork problems, so it's not a big issue. Could have done without it though.

Given the paint has oxidised and discoloured over time, I probably won't manage to get a perfect match without painting the entire panel. I may, however, put a decal over the top of the repair. I quite like this one - Bad Badger.


Those knowing the nickname Hay has for me will understand. It's a variant of a Banksy.


The awning end cap was rather tatty after 19 years in situ and had been severely attacked by UV.


Scrapped off all the crumbling and decomposed plastic with a knife, rubbed it down vigorously with several grades of wet and dry to get to a firm base and applied 4 layers of clear lacquer.


Good as new. My intent is to get everything on the van working 100% and back to the state it was when the van was built 19 years ago. It's amazing how these things hold their value if looked after.


No comments: