Thursday 6 May 2021

The Agony and the Ecstacy

Ever had one of those itches where you're willing to virtually lacerate your skin to stop the itching, and the pain endured while scratching the itch is almost welcome? You don't know which is more pleasurable.

I have several lesions on my back. They're the result of a reaction to a mineral oil I had on a boiler suit as a cadet in my youth. As a result, boils erupted on my back which formed into scar tissue lumps within which the nerves got mangled. These left me with areas on my back that occasionally itch like hell.


If one area starts to itch and I scratch it, the itch then moves around my back from lesion to lesion, like a nuclear chain reaction which goes critical, and the only way to satisfy the itch is to find a convenient doorpost to rub my entire back up against, like a bull elephant against a tree. The feeling is so, so, so good!

Scratching the itch produces a wonderful ecstasy, but I can sometimes scratch so violently that I risk ripping open the skin on my back, if I'm not careful. It makes you understand how some people get pleasure from running, hot massages, tattoos, eating hot curries, piercings, BDSM and even - yes - Brexit and support for Boris Johnson.

Apparently it's deeply routed in our biology and is a result of endorphins and anandamine, or 'the bliss chemical'.


1 comment:

GeoffH said...

I recommend E45 anti-itch cream