Sunday 7 November 2021

Success!

One of my regular readers, Roger, came up with a brilliant idea for hanging the heavy mirror in the static caravan - fix a vertical batten to the wall with several cage fittings and hang the mirror from that. 

A bit more research showed that Amazon do something called a Z bar which is specifically for this purpose.


However, I thought an aluminium door strip, for edging carpets where a door transitions from lino to carpet, would perform the same function at half the price.


Screwed into the wall, horizontally, with half a dozen screws, would provide a very secure anchorage for the mirror, with the weight spread out over the width of the wall in way of the mirror's width. For added security, cage fixings would be used to secure the strip to the wall.

Post Script: I had success hanging the mirror, despite some caravan owners telling me it wasn't possible. I had bought some carpet door strip and a bunch of cage fixings from ScrewFix before departing for the caravan yesterday, but on getting there I tried tapping the bulkhead to determine whether I could find any upright framework woodwork and - Eureka!


I found two of the buggers, at the regulation 400mm apart and in the perfect positions. The frame timbers themselves are not very wide, but wide enough to use to hang pictures and mirrors from.

That table lamp in the photo above is destined to go and be replaced with something much larger. Hay's now looking for some luxury curtain tie-back tassels to hang on various cupboard handles. These are quite swish and would fit the bill.


But not at £240....

The 4G router worked a treat with excellent download speeds and I managed to connect the Smart TVs without a hitch. Once my standard, telephone line home broadband contract expires, I think I might go for a 4G router for the house.

The decking is complete, except for the glass panels facing the lake and the lights that go atop two of the stanchions at the corners of the lake end. Hopefully that will be completed this week.

We're considering whether to switch the chrome HMV heater for a Opti-myst heater, which are the bee's knees in fake, log-effect fires, using steam with lights shining through it to give a really realistic flame effect.

Not cheap, but rather Wow! And not burning any wood, which is more environmentally friendly.


No comments: