Thursday 11 November 2021

Upcycle - Again

I tried an Ood light (globe) in the ship's magnetic compass gimbal I bought from a junk shop and renovated. 


I call it an Ood after the aliens in Dr Who who carry round globular lights, and the name stuck.

OK, the cable needs to be black and channelled underneath the plinth, but Hay wasn't impressed with the repurposed article for some reason. Back to the drawing board, which will probably result in plan A, which is the large ballcock I bought alongside it being painted by Hay's sister and rested in the gimbal.

I spotted these items in a car dealership skip the other day:



Now the old car brake disks are just screaming to be piled on top of each other in a vertical tower as a water feature, with the water cascading down the disks. The bare metal would need de-rusting and painting to avoid a puddle of rusty water and the disks would need tack welding into a tower. Hay, however, says no. Again, I can't fathom out why...

As for the cylinder head - I haven't made up my mind as to whether to litter my shed with it yet. It's only small - any ideas would be welcome. 

The surfboard is as smooth as a baby's bottom and ready to be primed. I'm thinking of a couple of logs as legs for a bench seat.


It looks low in the photo, but those logs are merely the two closest in size that I could immediately access from the pile of cut down leylandii logs. There is doubtless a more suitable pair in there somewhere. They'll need a bit of sculpting so that the surfboard fits snugly without wobbling around 

I was thinking of painting the surfboard anthracite to match the colour of the rails on our caravan and the rattan patio furniture. I'll get a large vinyl logo to place along it saying Clearwater (the name of the static caravan) in light grey before applying the lacquer topcoat, if for no other reason than it will prevent people nicking it.

This old lamp base is being upcycled for the static with a new shade - charcoal outside and gold inside.


Now that WILL look nice in the static.


No comments: