Sunday 23 July 2023

Customer Service

I ordered a set of panel beating hammers and metal dollies (the curved metal lumps you put behind a dent to give it the shape you want) on e-Bay, not realising they were coming from China (the price should have alerted me to the fact). When they arrived, the pack contained 3 hammers of various shapes, but no dollies.


I contacted the seller, who offered me a £5 discount on a buying price of £28.89. Regardless of the low discount offer, I reiterated that I merely wanted them to send me the missing dollies. They replied with a £10 discount offer, which still didn't approach the half way mark for the missing half of the order. Again I asked them se send me the dollies.

Then they came back with an offer of a full refund, which I accepted, as it was the dollies I was after, more than the hammers. I told them that as they'd given me the full value back, they may as well keep the refund and simply send me a new kit. They sent me the refund.

Picking apart the logic of this, they must have discovered that an entire consignment was missing the dollies and hence couldn't send me a complete replacement. I can't think of any other logic trouncing this assumption.

Anyway, I purchased an almost identical set from another seller, but wasn't at all impressed with the quality.





The dollies look as if they're made of furnace slag and are as rough as a badger's bum. If I ever use them, it will have to be with care, as the curves are somewhat irregular.


No comments: