Friday 28 July 2023

Democratic Mandate

I asked ChatGPT to list the percentage of those eligible to vote that each government has received since 1951 and not a single government had a mandate even reaching 50%, let alone surpassing it..

It took me a while to prise the answer out of the system, as it kept referring to the percentages of the number of votes cast. It pretended it couldn't provide an answer, until I pointed out it had provided turnout percentages, which means it could easily calculate the figures I wanted. ChatGPT is a bit like that - it gives you the run-around and needs to be kept on track. I just don't trust it - it's a bit like a politician.


Anyway, I finally found out that no government has received more than 37.6% of the votes of those eligible to vote, and that was the 1955 General Election where the Conservatives won.

We have, since 1951, be governed by parties which represent no more than a third of the electorate, and invariably fewer. It's a quirk of our system - we're ruled by a tyranny of the majority, which is actually a minority.

The system needs changing, as it is damaging to long term planning.


No comments: