Sunday 13 November 2022

Covid

For the last week Hay and I have been cooped up in the house with Covid and today, for the first time since last Sunday, I tested completely negative. The positives on Friday and yesterday had been getting successively fainter and fainter.


For me the only real symptoms were a bit of chestiness and great difficulty swallowing on one side of my throat; however, I discovered that the difficulty in swallowing was not due to Covid itself, but a huge ulcer one one side of the back of my tongue, which may have been caused by Covid suppressing my immune system, and thus an incidental secondary symptom, rather than a primary symptom. Apparently it's called Covid Tongue and no-one is certain why it appears.

Hay, on the other hand, was knocked totally sideways and couldn't get out of bed for 2 days, lost her appetite almost completely and felt severely weakened.

I had my Covid booster on the 20th September and thus was partially protected, whereas Hay, being only in her 50s, hadn't had the latest booster. There again, I have never had the slightest reaction to the Covid Jabs, whereas Hay always feels ill for a couple of days. I'm now  maximally protected for a while, having had the jabs and the wild strain.

Hay caught it from me and it's ironic that I totally evaded Covid during its height. I suspect I caught it from my work colleague, who attended a Butlins event in Minehead a couple of weekends ago, along with 3,000 other revellers. He came back feeling awful for about 5 days, but maintained he tested negative. There again, he may not have been administering the test properly. It's strange that No.1 Son caught it around the same time as me and had been in the car with my work colleague on the same day I think he transmitted it to me. No.1 Son was almost totally symptomatic too.

Thank God we caught the attenuated virus and not the original strain.


No comments: