Thursday 17 November 2022

Discovery

An old school friend (thanks, Dave) pointed out to me yesterday that Lidl, my favourite supermarket, sells live kefir. I was a tad suspicious of this, as I was under the impression that all dairy products had to be pasteurised; however, he was correct.

On inspecting the product (Milbona) I discovered that it is priced at 26.9p per 100ml, compared to 11p per 100ml for the homemade stuff, which is the cost of the whole milk. Think I'll stick to the homemade and less than half the price.

And I discovered another little product - boxed Jam Shed Shiraz in Tesco, which is cheaper than the promotion price on the bottles. 


OK, it's Australian Shiraz and not Argentinian Malbec but, to be honest, there's not a great deal of difference in the taste. It keeps for 6 weeks after opening, which is far longer than I expect an opened box to last.

Can't remember exactly, but I think it's £8 for a 2 litre carton, or £4 per litre on the Club Card, compared to the normal bottle price of £7, or £6 on promotion with a Tesco Club Card. Even the occasional 25% discount on 6 bottles, combined with the Club Card discount (yes, you can use both together) is more expensive by 50p.

Not sure why it should be, but it does taste a little more acidic than the bottles stuff, which may be because it's not opened to the air at all.


No comments: