Wednesday 4 March 2020

Leaderless Internet


If as much as 1/5th of the population succumbs to Corona virus, what the hell am I going to do if the internet goes down? No catch-up TV or Netflix and I've given all my DVDs to the charity shop. Never mind, at least I have my library.

I wonder whether the virus spreads faster in countries where languages use the velar fricative like German, Dutch and Scottish English? Perhaps the Japanese greeting of a stiff bow is the way we should go to prevent touching.

I listened in full to Boris Johnson's Corona virus press conference yesterday, and I've never heard someone waffle on in such a bumbling manner since, well, the last time I heard him speak. When quizzed on plans, all he could muster was; "We have lots of well prepared plans," and nothing else, besides telling us to wash our hands. At one stage he answered; "Yes, but I've forgotten the question." Not the most inspiring performance.


Yes, he was rescued several times by experts who did a very good job of communicating the medical part of the plan, but it still didn't make up for his atrocious performance and lack of a grasp of the essentials on other matters related to assistance for the low-paid and self-employed who cannot afford to self-isolate - precisely those who are most likely to spread the virus. Cameron did a better impersonation of a leader - even Sooty could have done a better job, and he couldn't talk.

I was waiting for him to tell us that within his strategy; "I have four weapons at my disposal; bullying, intimidation, ruthless ineptitude, a fanatical devotion to Brexit and a Dominic Cummings - damn, the . five weapons at my disposal are....."

Meanwhile at the Home Office there are claims that 'dark forces' are trying to oust Priti Patel as historic claims of yet more bullying are coming to light. Strange statement when it's public knowledge that Boris and Dom are trying to purge the civil service of anyone who is not a fanatical Brexiteer - if those aren't dark forces, I don't know what is. Nobody expects the British Inquisition...

Boris merely does the usual things and expresses his full confidence in the Home Secretary, which I've always seen as code for an imminent sacking (as that always seems to follow such announcements), and orchestrates an investigation where he is judge and jury, rather than a more transparent, independent inquiry.


No comments: