Sunday 29 March 2020

Virtual Tea Break Ventilators


What with the lockdown, Hay has been working from home. I can't work from home, as my work requires me to be at my place of work, so I'm simply kicking my heels and fixing things that have needed fixing for years and polishing things that don't really need polishing.


On Friday I spotted Hay having a virtual tea break with her work colleagues - they all dialled into a video conferencing facility and had a natter while partaking of a cup of tea. A novel idea for strange times.

I hear that a consortium of some 20 firms, many of them household names, have joined forces to aid Smith Medical and Penlon to ramp up production of their existing, approved ventilators so as to produce 10,000 in the coming weeks, with production starting tomorrow. Each company will be providing expertise in its area, whether that's manufacturing capability, 3D printing facilities, project management or simply storage.

Although Dyson has managed to grab the headlines with its untested and unapproved design, it isn't one of the above companies. It seems the government also pulled the rug from under Gtech a couple of days ago too, after having asked them to manufacture their own ventilators on the 20th March. Gtech will continue anyway, after having received interest in their design from abroad.


No comments: