Sunday 1 March 2020

A Complete Steer


"Steer" is finally complete. I ended up using chrome pipe brackets for the horn fixings as the handlebars were simply too heavy and long to be supported by a leather and upholstery nail strap - they would have swivelled and fallen downwards. I may, however, use some leather as decoration, although the chrome brackets don't look at all bad.




They are very secure and, being chrome, don't detract from the overall aesthetic.


The seat was bolted on, having discarded the additional seat ironmongery as it made the fixing somewhat overly complicated and fiddly.


Total cost -£10 for the breadboard from IKEA (could have gotten something cheaper), £16.99 for the handlebars (again, not the cheapest ones available), £5 for the seat (plus £2.90 postage) and a couple or three quid for the fixings. So - £37.89 in total - but I could have done it for £25 or less if I'd searched a bit more diligently for the necessary parts.

OK, I wasted a bit of cash on the wrong sized bolts, but I can reuse them elsewhere - no man can have too many different bolt sizes.

I still think the seat would be better sprayed a chalky white to more resemble a bleached skull, but Hay thinks it looks better as it is. Who am I to argue?

My only regret is not having taken a cast of Bully/Jim Bowen before decorating him. I'm hardly going to find more of these bulls' heads to work on.


Could start a business - how much am I bid for a Steer or a Jim Bowen?


No comments: