Wednesday 23 September 2020

Anti-social Gatherings

So we're not allowed in pubs after 10pm. Not since I was a teenager have I been in a pub at 10pm, never mind about after10pm! Even if we go out for a meal, we're usually home by 8.30 at the latest, so no great problem there.

The curfew has been criticised by some scientists as ineffective and merely driving late night drinking into less regulated venues. I suppose it could see the introduction of the old, Australian 6 o'clock swill, but at 10pm.

Large social gatherings with a total lack of distancing seem to be the main vector, which appears logical; parties, family gatherings, protests where protesters are confined, crowded beaches. Just as well I'm not a social animal, preferring my gatherings to be small and seeking out more isolated areas for holidays. If I see a crowd in my path, I change direction immediately.

A small number of idiots complain that the precautions to prevent the spread of Covid are designed to control us and we should all be responsible for our own decisions. Yes, restrictions are designed to control us, in the same manner as traffic lights are designed to control us. Imagine travelling from A to B with no road markings or signals and everyone making their own decisions - the accident rate would skyrocket, never mind about road rage. It's OK for people to make their own decisions, providing they can recognise objective reality, which a large number seem incapable of.


No comments: