Saturday 12 September 2020

Battletoaster Galactica

 We've only just discovered the most recent series of Battlestar Galactica, which first aired in 2004, and we're binge watching it on iPlayer.


I was struck by a quote on the episode we watched last night - "There's a reason you separate military and the police. One fights the enemies of the state. The other serves and protects the people. When the military becomes both, then the enemies of the state tend to become the people." That quote comes from Battlestar Galactica's Commander Adama. Apparently it is a very popular quote, but I've never heard it before.

I particularly like the manner in which technology of today and yesteryear appears in what's meant to be a science fiction future, but which actually takes place thousands of years in our past; the use of wired telephones and, in one scene, a Dualit toaster.

I used to have a 4 slice Dualit, which I loved, but Hay wasn't that keen on it and sold it. It's rather a pity, as I spotted a Dualit toaster converted into a lamp (below). Given my penchant for upcycling, that would have been a perfect kitchen lamp.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great fan of Battlestar Galactica, have the whole series on Blu Ray and sadly have watch the whole series 3 times over the past 5 years!