Sunday 27 September 2020

Here We Go Again

I've been seeing a lot of people posting the image below on Facebook:


The mere fact it's from a Leave Facebook page tells me all I need to know, and that's that it's divisive.

It seems many people are incandescent that anyone would stand up against racism, and I ask myself why? It stems from the All Lives Matter movement, which is a tactic to deflect the argument way from a glaring injustice.

They just don't get it. The BLM protests are an attempt to draw attention to institutional racism and the initiate change within such institutions. Such organisations are susceptible to criticism and can change. The problem with the above image is, exactly who are they trying to change? Drug peddlers, who it appears the shooter was. Trying to pressurise the criminal underworld to change is admirable, but futile. That is why I doubt the sincerity - it's yet another shot at the BLM movement.

I've seen some write that continuing to take the knee at sporting events will only make people more racist. That's exactly the kind of thing a racist would say, so as to justify their racism. I'd love to hear their logic on that one. 

They also seem sick and tired with the length of time the movement has been around, but the suffragettes didn't cease after one summer, nor did the civil rights movement in the USA - it's actually an extension of that.

The police sergeant in question was not shot because of his colour - he was shot because he was a policeman doing his job, a job that can be very dangerous. Many people are targeted for no other reason than the colour of their skin. 

There's another trope doing the rounds showing a blue line with the text; "Police Lives Matter." While I agree totally with the sentiment, a large proportion of those posting it appear to be those who also posted the All Lives Matter trope, thus I once more doubt that cohort's motive and sincerity. 

That's not, however, to say many have posted it with deep felt sincerity. I myself have reposted it, but I'm not an All Lives Matter drone using it as a shield. Indeed, one of my nieces is in the police in Merseyside and some of her stories are horrendous. She was seriously injured in a car accident while chasing a criminal, so I know exactly how testing the job is.

Racism is impenetrable to me. If you wouldn't discriminate against anyone because of the colour of their hair or eyes, then what relevance does the colour of their skin have? That said, they so say gentlemen prefer blondes and the blue-eyed blonde is revered as the pinnacle of beauty by many in the west.  However, there's a huge difference between preference and discrimination. 


No comments: