Tuesday 20 April 2021

Funerary Fridge Wars

Given we watch PBS America documentaries a lot, we're inundated by adverts for low-cost funerals, where someone collects the body and returns the ashes by hand, leaving the rest of the family free to have a party on the basis of the savings made. Hay and I wondered if Prince Philip ever considered this no-nonsense type of funeral - he always struck us, after all, as a no-nonsense kind of person and didn't want much fuss over his funeral. The saving would have been huge in his case and would have funded a massive party for the Royals.

Talking of Prince Philip's funeral, did you notice that no-one was wearing spectacles? Not many of the Royal Family do wear specs, but you do see the Queen wearing them a lot. However, imagine the embarrassment of having fogged up specs due to having to wear masks and blundering into everyone else or sitting in the wrong place. Mind you, without your specs, you're just as likely to sit in the wrong place - and she was sitting on her own without her specs on...

Now tell me this, if you know. Hay has a habit that annoys the hell out of me, although I'm not sure why it annoys me.

When I buy, for example, some blueberries, I'll place the container in the fridge and leave it there till I've used them all up, at which time the container - which is invariably the plastic, supermarket tray, goes into the recycling.


Hay, on the other hand, will swap the container for a slightly smaller one, from our stock of plastic Tupperware containers, whenever the volume of blueberries decreases, generating a heap of extra washing up.

My theory is that the larger the container, the less the fridge has to work to keep chilled - a full fridge uses less energy than an empty fridge. Hay, I think, just wants to keep as much room available in the fridge.

Is this a female thing?


No comments: