Saturday 10 April 2021

Prince Philip

When I was born in 1955, the name Philip was quite popular as an homage to Prince Philip and I was named accordingly, despite being born in the Netherlands and having a Dutch surname. It must have primarily been my British mother's influence. I wonder if the death of HRH will reignite the name's popularity.

Just before I was sent to my naval school in Plas Newydd in the late 60s, Prince Philip came to open what was called the New Block, a purpose built school to replace the ramshackle camp that had replaced the wooden vessel that was originally the school (a model is in the lower photo), but had accidentally been wrecked in the Menai Strait when returning to Liverpool for a refit.



I love this cartoon of Philip, which sums him up:


1 comment:

A Heron's View said...

I greatly appreciated his sense of humour being a rascally type similar to myself to which am often accused of being!