Wednesday 21 April 2021

Super League Lidl Diddle

I can't even pretend to understand the furore over the proposed Super League - I'm not even certain what the offside rule is. I have about as much interest in football as I do in the intricacies of various Mah Jong strategies. 

However, I also can't understand why Boris is wading into the argument with threats of legislation. You'd think he'd be fully supportive of companies devising different ways in which to make money, especially when it's a bunch of venture capitalists who are the driving force behind the proposal.

I mentioned the Super League to a work colleague yesterday and said it's just entertainment, and anything that increases the entertainment value is surely to be welcomed. He replied that it's not entertainment - it's war. He has a point. Even if your espoused team is rubbish and has a record of violent tackling, you'll still support it against the enemy - my team, right or wrong. Rather primitive, if you ask me. Anyhow, it all seems to have collapsed about their ears anyway.

I buy shedloads of Lidl, Naturis, cloudy apple juice in cartons that can be stored outside of a fridge, mixing it with water and putting raw ginger in it that leaches out and gives the resultant mix a wonderfully thirst-quenching flavour. It keeps for months and is made from natural apple juice, not concentrate.

Of late, I've noticed they haven't been restocking, so I decided to look in the chilled department to see whether they've done the usual trick that many manufacturers do - taking exactly the same product, but repackaging it in plastic bottles, putting it in the chilled department and increasing the price.

Hey - presto!


87p in the carton (2022 sell-by date) and 99p in the plastic bottle. Plastic may be recyclable, but it's naughty nonetheless. As for adding 12p to the price, that's just as naughty. The sell-by date on the chilled is a month hence, but I'll bet a penny to a pinch of poo it'll keep till 2022. 

Sent their customer services an email, but got a non-committal bit of nonsense back that said bugger all. I was going to conduct an experiment on the bottled stuff to see how long it lasts, but Hay went and drank the damned stuff. Meanwhile, I'll see if Aldi to cloudy apple juice in cartons cheaper.


No comments: