Thursday 1 April 2021

Not Another One?

 Guess what I found? Yes, another saw - this time a scroll saw.


£70 on Facebook Market, used only once. So, of you're counting, that's the sabre saw I already had, the sliding, double bevel, laser-guided mitre saw, the bandsaw and the scroll saw. 

All I need is a decent workshop now, but I'm working on that - a temporary one for this year and a garage extension to the house for next year, once Colin, our tame builder, is available. We've already booked him for a job in late summer and he's stacked out with work, so my garage will have to take a back seat.

I've managed to get the idea for the extension past the planning committee (Hay) by positioning it as a double garage / workshop with a galley kitchen at the back that connects to the AirBnB. It's the AirBnB connection that won the day, as it makes the AirBnB fully self-contained.

Once I have a garage, I fully intend to get a classic car to work on. Something like a Triumph GT6, perhaps. I could go back to MGBs, but I had my fill of those in my youth and they're just about the most ubiquitous classic these days. GT6s are much rarer and are faster, with a 2 litre engine in a superlight body. The forward tilting bonnet also makes working on the engine and front suspension much easier and the shape makes it a poor man's e-Type.




Who wouldn't like something like this? 1972 Triumph GT6 MkIII, which is quite sought after. It's only £5k too, but no storage space for it precludes a purchase.

Talking of classic cars, there are some strange definitions of a classic car these days. Put it into a search on Facebook Market and you come up with some cars that are only 10 years old.

Many modern 'classic' cars are not the kind of cars I'd like to work on - they're simply too complex and you have to be an electronics engineer to work on them. I prefer something basic, preferably with carburettors. Even my 1994  Mercedes SL500 is too complex for me to work on by myself, what with ECUs and all manner of electrics to go wrong. When it comes to an old MGB, I can dismantle the engine almost blindfolded and the bodywork is pure steel, not composite and plastic.


No comments: