Saturday 9 December 2023

Christmas Card Anxiety

Managed to get the usual crop of Christmas cards off this week, a task which I never relish as I'm always looking at the calendar and wondering whether I'll be too late for the Christmas post.


I keep a list of names and addresses that I print out and work through in a production line method. This year I decided to tackle the task earlier than usual - it meant I could use 2nd Class stamps too. Now it's a case of waiting for cards from people I forgot to add to the list and getting anxiety over not having sent them one.

You can easily spend a fortune on stamps these days; in fact the stamps invariably cost more than the cards. 2nd Class stamps are now £0.76, meaning we spend nearly a whopping £3 on sending cards to all our friends. It's becoming unaffordable.

I blame Henry Cole, who started the whole thing in 1843, having produced 1,000 commercially available cards, giving the proceeds to charity. We always get charity Christmas cards, buying them from charity shops just after Christmas, when they're desperate to get rid of them and sell them at a huge discount.

Bah, humbug!


No comments: