Friday 16 August 2024

Finished Filtration Shed

Colin finished off the shed while we were away in Pembrokeshire last weekend, and a very fine job he did too. The lean-to now houses the Mobylette and the tandem. Another couple of coats of wood preserver is scheduled and several splits and holes made by knots falling out have to be plugged.



Now to plan the piping for the physical, biological and UV-C pond filtration system, but first I need to organise a proper electricity supply.

Earlier this week my small bilge pump that feeds the make-shift, physical filter decided to pack up and go home - it was never rated for continuous operation, so I got more than I expected from it. I removed the fine filter matting from the boxes, to prevent backup due to the greater water flow, and diverted the UV-C outlet into the box. There should be no live algae in the UV-C outlet, but it aids filtration by collecting the dead waste which will still decompose at the bottom of the pond if left in.



I also discovered that the UV-C hasn't been working since I stripped it down over a week ago, the reason being I had inadvertently reversed the polarity on one of the UV tubes, which is very easy to do. I corrected this and it's fully operational again. I also ordered 3 missing retaining clips that help keep the end connectors fixed in place - only a fiver.


While in Pembrokeshire, Hay found some watercress growing in a stream leading to the beach and she brought some home, hoping to grow it in the pond margins. Now watercress needs cold, running water, so I placed it in the lower make-shift filtration box among the Alfagrog. Whether this water is cold enough is debatable, but it will certainly have some nutrient in it to feed the watercress, although too much will kill it. It seems to be doing OK thus far.


2 comments:

David Boffey said...

Planning permission?

Chairman Bill said...

Only when it becomes a block of flats.