Saturday 1 September 2018

Skate Improvements


While reading the instruction manual for my new Rollerblades, I came across something called ABT, which isn't present on my skates and comes at an extra cost. It's a braking system where putting the braking foot forward and applying pressure to the rear cuff of the boot top with your leg lowers the braking system.


You can see what's meant from the diagram above. 

My preferred stop is the T Stop, as there's little or no risk of going arse over tit. The Hockey Stop is what I'm aiming for and, given the extra manoeuvrability the new skates give me, should be easier to achieve on the new stakes than the old ones. I'm currently managing wide circles and need to concentrate on making them tighter while not losing my balance.

Rather than the usual 15 minutes practice in Tesco's car park before skating became either too painful of I got bored, this morning the experience was so enjoyable that I lasted a full hour - and it's hours of practice that's needed to become proficient. While I was pushed to achieve more than a fast walking pace in the old skates, I'm reaching about 30 MPH on the new ones and they're so frictionless that you just keep going. Even the slightest incline sends you hurtling along at breakneck speed.

This morning I decided to venture our of the car park onto the street; however, you're moving so fast that even slight changes in the surface texture can be ruinous. I managed to hit a rather rough patch of pavement while travelling at speed and, for the first time, ended up flat on my back. Luckily the hand protectors and elbow pads prevented any damage. Being able to stop in a trice would have been an advantage, so the ABT braking method could perhaps be of inestimable use and I may save up for a pair with the extra braking feature - the T Stop at speed is quite dangerous if you're not expert.


No comments: