Wednesday 6 March 2013

Chilly Pony Whisperer on Half-Day Closing


Overheard in the Caravan:

Chairman: "I know it's sunny, but should I keep the log burner on a bit longer before letting it go out?"

Hay: "Yes, it's going to be much warmer today."

Chairman: "But I feel a little chilly."

Hay: "Badger, it may have escaped your attention, what with working from home and all that, but you're sat in your boxer shorts - no bloody wonder you feel cold!"

On her paper round yesterday, Hay came across a pony that had escaped from its field and was running amok in Chapel Lane up in the village - well, when I say running amok, it was lazily grazing on some herbage hanging over the wall of a cottage. Chapel Lane is not exactly the M25, or indeed the B25, when it comes to traffic.

She phoned me to ask me to call the police station, but of course the police station is closed on Tuesdays. I suspect they must come in the rest of the week to clear up the crime perpetrated on Tuesdays, unless it's a legacy of the half-day closing of the 60s.

Whatever happened to the half-day closing?


2 comments:

Alan Burnett said...

For most of the shops concerned, it became 7 day closing.

Unknown said...

Supermarkets and greed happened to half day closing.