Monday 4 March 2013

Supermarket Sweep


Overheard in the Supermarket:

Woman shopper to husband: "That tomato doesn't even look human."

I was horrified to see what the fat couple in front of us at the checkout had in in their trolley. None of it, with the exception of some beef (?) mince and a squash, was fresh and comprised mainly quick-noodles, chocolate rolls, pre-prepared meals and the obligatory 2 litres of Coke. I was a bit slow to take the snap, but this is the tail end of it. Total cost, £30.


Here's what was in Hay's trolley - total cost £39, and a lot of that was catfood (80% moisture, according to the label!) and Andrews liver salts:


Is it surprising there's an obesity problem when people sacrifice quality and nutrition for convenience? It's not as if Hay and I don't have full-time jobs either, so the convenience issue is a bit of a blind, as Hay can whip up a meal from fresh ingredients within 20 minutes.

I have to say that we'd normally buy our fruit and veg at Ian's green grocer's store in Chipping Sodbury, where you can get a full week's supply for about a fiver.


4 comments:

Paula RC said...

I have a habit too of looking at the people and what they have in their shopping trolly. As they say, 'You are what you eat' Well, apart from beef which is really horse :-)

Chairman Bill said...

Neigh, neigh, thrice neigh, surely?

Alan Burnett said...

Give me a plate of home made chips over those pre-prepared supermarket jobs any day.

Paula RC said...

anytime, Alan, anytime. I make my own bread (without a machine) and have done for... OMG 35 years!