Friday 8 March 2019

CWI Push-Ups


I've finally found a strategy for breaking the 50 push-up barrier. It would appear that doing push-ups for 5 days in a row and taking straight 2 days of rest doesn't provide enough recovery time for the muscles - well, certainly in my case.

I switched to a day of press-ups, followed by a rest day. That has enabled me to reach 50 with greater ease and then continue to do 200 a day in 4 tranches of 50, rather than one x 50 (with a struggle) and then 20s and 30s. 

I'm now actually actually reaching 55 reps per session and will stick with that number for a week (doing 220 a day) before attempting to increase them to reps of 60 and 240 a day in total.


The body is certainly a wonderful thing when you challenge it and don't let it atrophy.

The cold shower regime is also continuing and my body's shock response is now almost non-existent. Won't be long before I'm joining Hay in her cold water swims.

According to a paper on CWI (Cold Water Immersion); "It is concluded that the evidence-base for the different claims made for CWI are varied, and whilst in most cases there seems to be a credible rationale for the benefits or otherwise of CWI, in some cases the supporting data remain at the level of anecdotal speculation. Clear directions and requirements for future research are indicated."

The theory is that CWI promotes improvement in the immune system.


1 comment:

GeoffH said...

Stopped exercising when my back played up - been downhill all the way since. Now, at 93, if I am grounded I can't get up unaided. Hence sheltered housing. My recommendation is go a bit easier.