Monday 18 March 2019

Eric's Phone in a DJ


Apropos of yesterday's post about me restoring a chest of drawers; Hay is always commenting on my inappropriate attire when doing DIY projects, as I always seem to get my best clothes covered in detritus. She suggested yesterday that I should buy a special dinner suit in which to perform DIY...

Nice little 60s, retro purchase on eBay - an Ericofon telephone.



I was idly watching The Man From U.N.C.L.E. film (not worth watching) and spotted one. They were a 60s icon, not that I've ever seen one in real life. Scandinavian design by Ericsson - I imagine they were used  a lot on The Prisoner TV series, as almost all the props used were futuristic style icons.

Wasn't sure whether to go for a red one or orange - orange is so 60s. Plumped for the red in the end. We never actually use our landline, so a frivolous purchase in terms of use, but nevertheless stylish.  60's stuff is making a resurgence after having been considered naff for so many decades. 

Wild and Wolf of Bath did an Ericofon-lookalike in the 80s or 90s called a Scandiphone, with push-buttons instead of a rotary dial, but they're not the real deal. I can see the real Ericofon climbing dramatically in price with the Brexit demand for 60s things...

Another 60s icon has gone for good - Dick Dale.



No comments: