Friday 29 May 2020

Hoax Isolation - Gone Phishing


I'm not exactly sure how this Test and Trace system is going to work, but what's to stop any old hoaxer phoning you and telling you you have to self-isolate for 14 days because you've been in contact with someone who has tested positive for C-14, but they can't tell you who it is because of GDPR? An App would provide me with more confidence that the instruction was genuine, but I believe the App isn't yet fit for purpose, as the contract wasn't given to a company with expertise in this area (we've had enough of experts).


I can imagine a lot of people falling for hoax calls, especially the more gullible among us. And what about those without phones or access to the internet to make a test booking. They're mainly the elderly, who also happen to be most at risk. It's going to be difficult, to say the least, but any system is better than none.

I have noticed that those who seem most prone to promulgating hoaxes and debunked conspiracy theories on Facebook generally tend to be on the far right of the political spectrum. They're also those most likely to have had various internet accounts hacked at some stage, as evidenced by the amount of phishing emails I get from their cloned accounts, which has gone exponential at present - I'm getting half a dozen a day currently.

The government maintains it's too early to draw conclusions from the UK's high death rate per million. I've never heard so much obfuscation. I have to ask what the purpose of lockdown is? No-one can say its purpose is other than reducing deaths; that's why it was devised in the first place and that's what it has done. The only reason we're gradually coming out of lockdown is because deaths have come down - due to lockdown, It does not take a public inquiry or being a member of MENSA to conclude that the earlier a country locks down, the fewer deaths there will be. Had there been no lockdown and no social distancing, Professor Neil Ferguson's prediction of 250k deaths would be entirely feasible, especially when one considers that 280k died in the UK during the Spanish Flu.

A friend sent me a humorous meme yesterday about using garlic as a means of ensuring social distancing. I don't know whether you've ever been near someone in South Korea, but they use garlic profusely and I once had the misfortune of being trapped in a faulty lift with 5 South Koreans in Seoul. I only narrowly escaped with my life - the stench was phenomenally overpowering.


No comments: