Sunday 17 May 2020

The Invisible, Silent Killer


HS2 is in the news rather a lot, especially at the present. This made me wonder what HS1 was, and it turns out to have been the high speed link between London and the Channel Tunnel, which made sense. 

Since the easing of the lockdown and the consequent increase in traffic, I've noticed that for the last 4 days I've been suffering a tightness in my chest and my COPD symptoms have flared up again, to the extent that I've had to go back on to my inhaler medication. Not only is the Coronavirus a silent and invisible killer, but pollution is too.


According to 2019 research by the Max Planck Institute, air pollution is estimated to kill 64,000 people a year in the UK alone, which puts C-19 into perspective. The UK's death rate translates into 98 early deaths per 100,000 - compared to 120 worldwide and 129 in Europe. Researchers believe the lower UK rate could be in part because Atlantic winds help disperse the pollution - while it has less heavy industry and agriculture and more renewable energy than some EU countries.


1 comment:

fatboyburton said...

Talking of renewables and pollution my solar panels had a record week 19 to 26th Apr of 159 units at current rates this equates to £91.14 i put it down to less polution