Monday 4 January 2021

eBay Brexit Transaction Friction

Installed the GPS tracker in the van yesterday and can now perform all manner of fancy tracking actions. The function I really like is geofencing, whereby I can designate a GPS location and get an alarm on my phone whenever the van strays beyond a preset distance from it. Brilliant little gizmo. Went on to eBay and bought some window stickers alerting potential thieves to the fact that the vehicle is tracked.

While on eBay I was idly browsing for a Cona B sized coffee maker for No.2 Son's 21st (shh - don't tell him), when I alighted on a rather nice one situated in Germany.

Time was when you saw something for sale on eBay in the EU and thought nothing of it, accepting it would cost a bit more in postage. Now, however, I discover than the VAT exemption on anything less than £15 has disappeared and there's a VAT element. 


Not only that but, if you sell anything into the EU via eBay, you have to look up the Rules of Origin and all manner of red tape which now makes European eBay transactions a nightmare.


No comments: