Wednesday 6 January 2021

The Bells, the Bells

Regular readers will know that nearly a year ago I was given a rather nice ice skating bell by a friend. It's a heavy old thing and I've been searching ever since for a suitable piece of ironmongery on which to hang it outside as our doorbell.


A couple of weeks ago I spotted a scrap metal skip at a local car dealership and noticed what looked like the perfect item.


I'm not certain exactly what it came from, but it's obviously a major suspension part. I cleaned it up and applied a coat of Jenolite to cure the rust. Some brass effect Hammerite will weatherproof it. 

The upper left piece has a vertical hole through it, which lends itself well to a gate pintle, but I still need to do something with the lower part to stop the whole contraption swinging. I suppose I could weld the pintle in place, but I'm reluctant to do that. The lower hole could have a metal bar placed though it, bent into a U and welded to a backing plate. 

The upper right bush and spindle (which is seriously bent) will need drilling out to afford a shackle to be inserted from which to hang the bell.

 

No comments: