Saturday 19 June 2021

A Yakking Disaster

Well, kayaking was a disaster - for me at least.

I sent my mate and Hay off on the water, my mate in a kayak and Hay on her SUP, while I sorted out a few things at the car. I followed about 5 minutes later, but was told I wasn't allowed in, as I required a flotation aid (I'd given mine to my mate and Hay had to have the other because she didn't have a tether to her SUP).


The fact I would be sitting on one of the largest flotation aids known to man, in the shape of an air-filled, unsinkable kayak, was neither here nor there. I enquired if I could rent one of the lake operator's flotation aids, to which the answer was no, as they were reserved solely for those engaged in organised kayaking, and not those bringing their own kayak. Rather sad, especially as I'd paid them £10 for the privilege of not going into the water and couldn't get a refund.

I was fuming, despite fully understanding their position from an insurance perspective. Health and Safety gone mad, I believe, is the usual expression. Muttering under my breath, I changed into civvy gear, stowed my kayak away on the roof bars and sat waiting for the other two to return.

From now on I'm not going anywhere near a managed lake - it's only rivers and the sea for me, where I can be as foolhardy as I like, at my own risk and judgement. wouldn't have happened when I was a kid, but then road deaths from not wearing seatbelts or crash helmets were legion then.


No comments: