Tuesday 1 June 2021

Assorted Bikes

Made a start on putting the 80cc, 2 stroke engine on my 'other bike'.

The instructions are reasonably lucid, for a Chinese product. I suspect the UK seller has made his own - they sound like they're compiled by someone who went through the motions, yet there are differences between the model the seller worked on and the kit I received - it's as if the manufacturer pulls bits together from different suppliers, but some of the suppliers change their part's spec without informing the company that sells the complete kit. 

Anyway, here's a photo of the start, with the fuel tank, engine and exhaust mounted into place. Next is to build the carburettor, which came in a bag of bits that need assembly.

The exhaust needs some more consideration, as it doesn't fully clear the pedals without some bending and looks stupid, so I've ordered a 3rd party, flexible exhaust pipe for £29.99 that is easier to re-route with the right clearances and extends much further back beyond the rear wheel hub - like this:


And here's the finished mototrised bike. Obviously I've added some paint and a few, small embellishments....


I modified the cover for the e-bike headlight using a soldering iron to cut the casing to fit the LED torch and glued the torch into place. Works a treat and is very bright.



The brackets, however, are unsuited to mounting it on the forks - not enough space on the forks - so I've ordered a couple of cheap, 90 degree brackets to mount it on the handlebars. 

You might ask why I removed the original bulb and used an LED torch. It's because the headlamp in 12v and the bike's power supply is 48v. The LED torch has a mini-USB port (the orange tab), so I can charge it easily,

I trial-fitted the battery pack yesterday, which uses Velcro straps, but leaves much t be desired. I think I'll have to construct something more secure, like a box that I can screw to the frame.

The e-bike base is going to the local cycle shop today before the build to ensure everything is in working order and tickety-boo. That'll take a week, as they're overburdened with work at present.


No comments: