Wednesday 2 June 2021

Bike Tales

Bloody hell! I noticed that a couple of drops of Superglue had dripped on to the polycarbonate lens of the headlamp I'd crafted for the e-bike. Rather than spoil the ship for a ha'poth of tar, I took it apart and rubbed the inside of the lens with 1500 grade wet and dry paper to sand off the glue and smooth it out and then rubbed it with rubbing compound to shine it up.

There was still a small amount of residue from the rubbing compound on the lens, so I wiped the inside and outside of it with something called tar and glue remover - a petrochemical derivative that's used to remove road tar and decal glue from cars. Bugger me - it melted the surface of the lens, fully clouding the inside AND the outside!

Back to square one, but even worse. Had to go through the whole procedure again, which took me the best part of an hour, but I managed to get it shining again.


I've booked the e-bike base cycle in at the local bicycle emporium to have the brakes and gears all checked before the build to ensure I have a sound and safe base to work on, but the bloke there can't work on it till the 10th June. However, it dawned on me that having had the bloke fiddling with the brakes and gears, I'm only going to have to mess with them again when installing the hub motor. Not only that, but I want him to investigate a clicking noise from the crank, which I will have to dismantle too in order to install the Pedal Assist Sensor.

I came to the conclusion that while the bike is being serviced, I may as well get them to install the hub wheel and the PAS, thus saving me a job and the potential of me cocking up all the good work they'll do. All that would be left for me would be to install the controller and throttle. A bit of a cheat, but pragmatic.

Now for another problem - Hay experienced an unexplained leisure battery drain on the motorhome at the weekend and I'm damned if I can find the cause - and we're due to go away in it again on Friday. I'll have to perform some diagnostics later today.


No comments: