Monday 21 June 2021

Finis

Managed to do some more work on the p-bike on Sunday, but the e-bike was finally completed, bar a bit of soldering on the XT60 connectors between the battery and the controller.

The connectors didn't arrive from Amazon till at around 4pm and No.1 Son, who had been helping me with the p-bike, pestered me to get them attached ASAP, but they need more than crimping (solder is the only solution). I did give in to him though, as it was Fathers' Day, and he took it on a test drive, managing to get 60kph (40mph) out of the beast on a large, empty car park. I now have to regulate it so it doesn't do more than 15mph on the road. This is simply achieved by connecting 2 wires on the controller.

Just like electric cars, the full torque is immediately available, so take-off is extremely swift. The kill-switch on the brake levers supplied don't really seem necessary, but I may change my mind when I come to test drive it.

After much buggering about and with the aid of No.1 Son, I managed to get the drive cog and tensioner on the p-bike, although it took two chain splitters to achieve it, the first one having cross threaded and having to be ground off. 

Can't yet generate a spark at the plug on cranking the pedals though, so I'll have to go over the wiring once more to see where the problem lies. It's bound to be something very simple. The electrical installation instructions leave much to be desired and the wire colours don't match fully those found on YouTube videos.


No comments: