Saturday 3 July 2021

Bits and Bobs

Well, I received all the parts for the e-bike yesterday - the new LCD screen and the new controller - but guess what?

  1. The LCD screen ended in a short Julet connection and no extension to reach the controller and,
  2. While the controller had many connections similar to the old controller, half of them are totally different, requiring me to chop and change connectors on either the peripheral or at the controller end.

I asked the vendor of the LCD screen whether they supplied an extension and you'd think I was asking for Mars dust. They maintained all SW900 screens are the same, until I showed them the first half dozen I found on eBay, which had full tails to reach from the front of a bike to the rear and with the correct JST-SM connection.



In terms of connections between parts manufactured by different suppliers, it's currently the Wild West and you take your chances, as there are no accepted standards, unless buying a full kit from one supplier. The connectors all come from the RC (Remote Control) model market, so it would be handy to have a model shop nearby, but the nearest is in Frome.

My bike repair stand arrived, so working on brakes and gears is somewhat easier now.


One thing I must stop doing is fiddling with the bikes on gravel. The chance of losing a critical screw or nut in the gravel is rather high and I've simply been lucky thus far and have a strong magnet.


No comments: