Saturday 10 July 2021

Lifetime Guarantee

Got a new car battery yesterday and it came with what's called a lifetime guarantee, which is a slippery chap.


Rather than my usual modus operandi of getting one on eBay and fitting it myself, I resorted to using our local KwikFit, as I was rather busy and Hay was wanting to use my car on Sunday for a kayaking trip with a friend of hers - or, rather a paddleboarding trip,

What shocked me was Luke, the KwikFit manager, tossing me the keys to the car while saying; "The battery has a lifetime warranty - if it fails within 4 years we'll give you a new one."

It was the mention of 4 years and lifetime in the same sentence that threw me. However, when you think of it, a battery is recommended to changed every 3 to 5 years, so 4 years is the usual lifetime of a battery. It's not my lifetime, nor the lifetime of the car, but the average lifetime of a car battery.

It didn't, however, resolve my problem, as the car sprung a massive coolant leak yesterday from some place deep within the engine cavity, requiring a ramp to locate and fix it. Unfortunately, Steve, who owns the garage we use at work, can't book the car in before Tuesday. Hay is going to have to take the van, which a better proposition as she can make them both something to eat and drink.


No comments: