Thursday 8 July 2021

That Statue

 Don't know about you, but I think the new Diana statue is - er - not very nice.


I guess if it looked vaguely like her, then it might be marginally acceptable. 

I know art isn't meant to represent reality that faithfully, but it should if it's a statue of a person. It also looks somewhat wooden and lacking in life - more like a Next mannequin in a shop window. Each to their own though. I would guess that, for the average and dedicated Diana fan, it simply wouldn't pass muster, although I could be mistaken.

Don't get me wrong - I quite liked Diana, but this statue is simply hideous and a crime against art, despite being sculpted by the acclaimed Ian Rank-Broadley, who is noted more for his coinage relief work. I guess everyone is entitled to an off-day.

There again, William and Harry raised the money and commissioned the statue and they're obviously happy with it - or are appearing to be so - even if it isn't particularly nice. I think a competition would have produced a better result, as it has with many public works in the past.

The cost of the statue hasn't been made public, but I can think of better ways of spending £100...


1 comment:

Steve Borthwick said...

As Hitch used to say, "she was a disco dancing, good-time girl with bad taste in men", can't say I'd add too much to that.