Sunday 5 September 2021

Complete and Not So Complete

Both e-bikes are now complete. 


As you can see, the wiring on the 2nd one (on the right) posed some particular problems, mainly from the fact I couldn't find a suitable pannier to go over the rear wheel, which meant positioning the controller in the centre, resulting in wires being either too long or too short, depending on the function.


The box I ordered for the controller, being strapped to the battery with Velcro, is a fudge at best, but it offers protection and looks fit for purpose. I may even get one for the first bike, as it looks better than a black canvass bad. I may just finish it off with some silicone sealant where the wired enter, so as to prevent water ingress.

It would be nice to affix it to the underside of the 45 degree strut, but the length of the wires currently precludes this; however, I may adapt it in this manner at a later stage. Suffice it to say it works and is doesn't look too bad.

Made a start on the mobile patio heater I wanted to upcycle from an old, garage oil sump I rescued from a local garage. I thought I'd drained all the oil out of it, but it just kept pouring out the further I cut into the base of the aperture I was making with a grinder.






The problem was that the pipe poking out from the top of the unit went from the top down to a few inches short of the bottom of the barrel, resulting in an airlock that was trapping a couple of litres or more of thick, black oil. Some washing powder and plenty of water on the stones will clear that though.

I'll probably arch the top of the aperture. I removed the pipe sticking up from the device, widened the hole and replaced it with a spare, wood-burning stove chimney that I' hammered down to a small, circular protrusion a couple of centimetres from the bottom of the chimney for a snug fit and then welded it into place. A bit difficult with the chimney being cast iron, but I managed it. Any tiny holes remaining will be covered with a layer of fire cement.

A grate for the bottom needs sourcing and that may prove problematic in terms of size and I may have to weld something myself from scrap iron. Hay quite likes the rusty patina so I'll leave it like that, rather that de-rusting it and painting it with heat resistant paint.


No comments: