Sunday 19 September 2021

The Incredible Bulk

I've taken up exercising again, as it's well over 6 weeks since my brain bleed and I was starting to pile on the pork though an overindulgence of sweeties.

I'm alternating my exercise regime over 3 days - one day of running, one day of upper body exercise and one day of rest.


It's amazing how quickly I've managed to reach almost the same level of energy expenditure as pre-accident. I can already run, non-stop, to the local petrol station (about 0.9 miles, or 1.45 km) and part run, part fast walk the return journey. Being able to run 0.9 miles non-stop is quite a feat for me due to my COPD and, by the time I'm at the far end, my lungs are screaming for oxygen. I am currently back at 50 press-ups, but the 40 x 10kg arm curls (10kg in each hand) are still 5 short of 40.

Now, exercising increases muscle bulk, which in turn increases oxygen demand when those muscles are worked. However, my COPD means my lungs are basically screwed, so their oxygen intake will likely never improve. That presents a problem - how can I exercise without increasing muscle bulk? I suppose the vasculature can improve on getting the most of the limited oxygen available by an increase in efficiency, a bit like the way in which altitude training increases the red blood cell count, but I don't want to end up with an enlarged heart.

Strangely enough, when I go for my COPD lung function tests, my lungs are about 25% greater capacity than average, so I guess they have compensated for the damage within them. However, when it comes to lung function, I have the lungs of someone 10 years older.

I suppose the secret is not overdoing it and the 3 day regime is quite well adapted to that, although my eventual aim is to run to the petrol station and back without stopping at all. I may even extend that by running, non-stop, to the school and back, which is exactly 2 miles. I'd be more than happy with that as a target, as I've never, ever, been a runner and struggle with steep inclines when walking, whereas Hay leaves me huffing and puffing on hilly, coastal paths.

At school I'd get a stitch, also known as Exercise-related Transient Abdominal  Pain, when running and always managed to dive out of the cross country by volunteering for something infinitely boring, but not as painful. In rugby I was handy in the scrum and for short bursts of energy, but chasing a ball up and down the field of play knackered me, which is why I was rarely picked for the Bantams and Colts teams. That wasn't COPD (caused by decades of heavy smoking), but asthma, with which I also suffer.


No comments: