Saturday 9 October 2021

Burn Baby Burn

I've mentioned this before; I don't know whether it's just me, but I'm seeing a lot of adverts on TV for funeral companies and funeral insurance plans. I suppose it's to be expected with an ageing demographic.


However, all the people you see in the adverts are very obviously nowhere near popping their clogs. What I want to see is people actually burning or being buried in order to get a better feel for what you get. We need to get a feel for the product. When G-Tech, for example, advertise their vacuum cleaners they don't only show you a swept carpet, they show you the vacuum cleaner actually performing. 

Talking of burning people, we're having a village bonfire again this year, but we're not having the usual firework display. The main reason is the £1,200 bill for the show, which we can ill afford because of a lack of revenue during Covid and the cost incurred of project to rebuild the Village Hall kitchen. There's also the matter of there being a lot of horses, sheep and pets in the neighbourhood. It's rather unfair to put them through the fear and anxiety. I'd be OK with never having fireworks again, although I do believe there are such things as silent fireworks.

I'm scheduled to perform a laser display to entertain the kids with. I was going to use my fog machine, but its efficacy would be very weather dependent. Instead, I'm going to perform the display against a backdrop of a house next to the football field where we're having the bonfire - and yes, I have the house owner's permission.

I'm thinking of making a flyer for the bonfire, telling local residents there will be a bonfire this year, but we won't be burning any Catholics - except, perhaps, Jacob Rees-Mogg.


1 comment:

Geo. said...

I trust the cost to rebuild the Village Hall kitchen wasn't due to one of last year's stray fireworks? ;)