Friday 15 October 2021

The Hat

With the nights drawing in and it not getting light till about 7am, running has become a bit of a hazard. Hay thought I should wear some kind of light attached to my head in the manner of a headband, but they're not that stable and would doubtless fall off while running. 

However, she came up with a bright idea, if you'll pardon the unintentional pun - a hat with a powerful, built-in LED light, as recommended by her favourite magazine - Campfire Magazine.


And it's brilliant - another unintended pun. I wore it on Saturday night when returning to our motorhome after a visit to a restaurant in Porlock in Somerset, where we went for the weekend. It lit the way back perfectly and will be eminently suitable for running on dark mornings.

I've not run since last Thursday, as I seem to have incurred an injury to my left foot. Not sure whether it's running induced or not, but I'm laying off the running for a few more days.

Hay was insistent on going for a long walk while we were away in Porlock at the weekend, but I took my e-bike along. Mud and water didn't defeat me, but I was nearly defeated by a bunch of kissing gates on some tracks marked, incredulously, as Permitted Cycle Paths. Kissing gates are impassable with a bike, unless you're fortunate enough to have either a carbon fibre bike that weighs as much as a feather, or some assistance from a 3rd party.

I was finally defeated by the shingle bank on the beach and had to leave the bike there while Hay went for a swim, collecting it on the way back.



No comments: